Monday, August 29, 2011

Mary Mary Quite Contrary...



...how does your garden grow?

It is a BEAUTIFUL morning. I am saddened to think school starts, but summer is not over in my book. It's a cool 70*ish - and I'm outside watering plants and such. I am noticing that the spinach is not coming in yet - maybe it takes longer? The watermelon, conversely, is sprouting right up! How fun :) It is Mike's favorite fruit - and would be fun to have an October watermelon dish!

This morning I finally got some lavender plants into little seedling plots! They are to begin indoors, but since it's starting to "cool" off down here, I'm going to chance it. At least for today. Would be fun to use in the house for fresh scents. And in home cleaning products.

Oh yes. I found a book at the library on green housekeeping. I'm blossoming into an environmentalist before your eyes. I suppose being in my first home and seeing how much cleaning products cost and the do-it-yourself'er in me wants to try some new things. We fill up our recycling bin a week ahead of time, so this week unfortunately we are pitching some cardboard. I'm going to try and rescue it, but we'll see...

I also planted some zinnia seeds. They are in our little bin that we once used for herbs. Interestingly, there are some little basil sprouts that are popping up. In making room for the zinnia flowers, I thought about uprooting the basil. I was reminded of the verse in Matthew -"Let both grow together until the harvest" (Matt 13:30). So this will be fun to watch. The windows are open and Gambler and I are enjoying a quiet Cary morning. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment