Sunday, August 28, 2011

Growing Basil: Hurricane Edition

As we anticipated the storm, I chose not to water the garden the day before. Predictions were for 2-5", and I didn't want the fresh seedlings to float away! Unfortunately, rain was less than extraordinary - in fact, the wind was the most intense aspect of Irene's visit to Cary. It did eventually rain, and was a nice, gentle shower.

I didn't pull the basil plant in, as it was a free-standing pot. I should have! I guess I wanted to chance it and see - ha. Anyways, it hung in there as well. Following the "storm", I checked on everything and it seemed great.

In fact, I made a wonderful dish last night, the recipe for which my mom passed along to me. Summer Garden Pasta! It was a marinade of cherry tomatoes and basil, among other spices and olive oil. It was perfect. I last hoorah for summer before school starts tomorrow!



It was an incredible summer to say the least - I will miss you Summer of '11, but know this new year will bring lots of new adventures and blessings. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment