Monday, January 14, 2013

New Christmas toys!

For Christmas I bought myself a few new goodies to use in the kitchen.  They were on sale at Tar-get.  I wanted a cast-iron griddle pan - but couldn't decide between a bigger square one that was flat on one side to make pancakes, or something like this.  Round and with griddle marks for chicken, fish, etc. that we tend to have. 
Alas, finding something on those end caps at Target with the bright orange "buy me now I'm marked way down" tags always trumps my initial plans. 

To the far right behind my cute make-up bag, there's a little 'Giada' goodie box.  It included a stainless steel set of an ice cream scoop, veggie peeler, pizza cutter, can opener, and silicone whisk - all for about $12!  Score!
 I don't remember what this beauty cost, but it was good. 

You can also see a packaged serrated knife - also Giada, also stainless steel (not on sale - but I did have a coupon and an extra 5% coupon on top of the Target RedCard 5% discount - so almost free...).  Anyways, the one I had was getting very dull.  I'd read its possible to sharpen this kind of knife - inlet by inlet - but it sounded super tedious.  I just want to be able to cut bread without fearing for my life (read: the safety of my hands.
Speaking of... my hands have never taken such a beating as they have since I started cooking more regularly.  Dry skin leads to more cracks, with an occasional slip of a dull knife. Owey.   

Finally - a nod to our efforts to be more green and reduce plastic - a new, large bamboo cutting board.  w00t!


All this to say, never go to Target with an "Oh I'm just browsing" mentality.  It always lands you...with lots of stuff you 'need'. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment