Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Good "first week" :)

I had a very enjoyable experience meal planning.  Though it was a bit humorous. 

I woke up Monday morning - as planned - and pulled out all my supplies: cookbooks, computer, paper and pen.  I then...stared at it all.  Where to start?  I remembered the list of categories I'd come up with (i.e. mexican, pizza, sandwiches, etc.) and that helped.  First memo to self: Use the week to browse and start marking things to try - so come Monday I'll have a list to work with.

I came up with: Monday - Spaghetti Squash and Black Bean Tacos (from Smitten Kitchen); Tuesday - Margherita pizza (also from SK); Wednesday - at work, so leftovers for Mike; Thursday - Grilled Shrimp; Friday - Grilled Chicken and Lemon Basil Pasta.  Though I knew four meals was a bit ambitious - I figured something would flow into the weekend.  I also slipped in another SK recipe - Apricot Breakfast Crisp! Mmm. 

As I set off to shop - I realized I left my wallet (and whole purse!) down at work.  Fortunately, for me, Mike had happened to leave his wallet at home.  So I was not put off track!

I had a few things on my list I can only get at Trader Joe's (why is that - only certain stores have the very specific things you want?!), so I went there.  It was probably my most enjoyable TJ experience ever.  Coming with my list, I wasn't distracted by all the fun stuff they're always putting out.  But I realized that their produce is WAY cheaper than Lowe's Foods where I usually go.  For example - at Lowe's, Organic Gala apples are $2.79 a pound. At TJ's, 2 pounds is $2.49!  They didn't have spaghetti squash, so I went with butternut squash.  A huge one for only $1.99!  Mike loves when I go out and "save" him money.  And who can argue with a grocery store that provides free coffee and a lovely sample every time of day :)

I must say - it has been an easier week thus far knowing that meals are planned out and I have most of the ingredients I need.  Wish I'd started this sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment