Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Challenge Extended, Challenge Accepted: Chicken dinner that 'isn't sweet'

We are trying to eat less sugar.  Which you probably couldn't tell with the previous post about tomato soup (lots of sugar, some natural) and cookies with ice cream (lots of sugar, all added!).  So in trying to come up with a good dinner, I did lots of scanning.  It seems there's a plethora of poultry recipes - until you need one.  But in going through one of the many blogs I've been following, I found a great idea that I adapted.  It had a sweeter flavor with the orange, but didn't put any sugar in.  Our dinner was adapted from this recipe - 30 Minute Lemon Brown Sugar Chicken.

I took two larger chicken breasts - cut them into pieces, and then pounded thinner.  Into a mixture of flour, paprika and black pepper, I coated the chicken liberally. 

Meanwhile, some olive oil was warming in my stockpot.  I then took the chicken pieces and placed them into the pan along with one diced onion.

Once a nice sear began, I realized the chicken was cooking quite quickly and adhering to the bottom of the pan.  I poured in about 2 cups of chicken stock, squeezed in 1/2 a lemon and 1/2 an orange - and then some zest of the same (which I read is better to do before slicing - nothing like real time learning!)


This bubbled up into something quite amazing.  With the pan on low heat, I put the lid on and let it simmer away while I cooked up some quinoa in a neighboring pot.

After about 10 minutes, the liquid had evaporated while the onions and chicken became plumper with the wonderful goodness.  Next time I'd add maybe 3 cups of chicken stock.

Served alongside some steamed sugar snap peas, it was a perfect mid-week meal.  And true to the original inspiration, took about 30-35 minutes.  Win!

Hey Mikey - he likes it!

1 comment:

  1. I am betting that Mike enjoys sampling your efforts. It looks just delicious and the color contrast is beautiful. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete