Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Catching up...

Slowly approaching the 'lazy dayz' of summer...wherever those might be?!  As I get to hang out with kids and young people - who are free during the summer - these months are generally quite busy.  But I'm looking forward to a few days in the mountains with the hubs come back to school.  My mom always liked this commercial...and now I can see why (facetiously of course!)  hehe!

As its been quite the summer...I've not had the chance to keep up with cooking/blogging about my meals.  Though I've been blessed with time to putz around spice stores and chat over cooking many times over.  I've also found two things:
- Waking up so early, I tend to have time/energy to put together a meal for later before I even think about breakfast
- Cooking in the summer is hard!  You don't want to turn on that oven as it gets so hot in the house.  And I seem to find soups and baking up squash easier to do in the fall - but summer meals seem to be harder.  Would love your suggestions. 


Yesterday I threw together just a quick 'casserole' of sorts.  We had some ground turkey breast and a 1/4 onion... so I cooked that up, threw in a bag of frozen broccoli, can of corn, and a mixture of lite cheeses (cheddar, goat, and parmesan).  Kind of a high protein, low fat, quick meal.  Helpful to have something in the fridge as we're trying to be better about eating at home. 

I was inspired by a fun dinner this past weekend and a friend who had a great kitchen.  He cooked up some Mahi Mahi burgers - frozen from Trader Joe's - and it was SO good!  I bought some yesterday.  Looks like they could even be cut and used in fish tacos - great idea!

Some other fun finds Mike and I are enjoying this summer are our "treats" we have post-dinner most evenings. These Yasso bars are so good!  We're a fan of all except for Mango...and seeing many boxes left at Target while the others are empty - seems other folks don't like mango either!
We also like these Dole chocolate covered bananas.  You could make em at home...but who has time for that ;-) 
Below are some of our creations over the summer...

This is actually a fall treat - but we like slicing up apples, mixing em with cinnamon, honey, and a bit of butter - using oats to make a bit of a crust on top.  A lighter breakfast treat.  It is a take on baked oatmeal - but using fruit to stretch the oats a bit more.  Generally I mix the oats with some water and put them on top of the sliced apples (and blueberries, raisins, whatever's on hand...) and throw a little dish in the toaster oven.  Mike likes it!  He's also gotten into Trop50 - a lower-sugar version of orange juice.

Here are some more shots of the Mango Corn salad that I posted about here.



This was my attempt at Kelsey's baked blueberry pies...the recipe can be found here.  You don't cook the dough, but instead put it in the freezer raw - and then defrost when you're ready to enjoy.  Mike is a pie-guy...so a fun treat while I was away :)









And here's kind of a step-by-step look at one of Mike's favorite meals: chicken enchiladas.  Basically cooked up some ground chicken, mixed in some beans and corn, rolled up into these tortillas, and threw some enchilada sauce and cheese on top.  More work obviously than just tacos - but I'll spoil him :) 







No comments:

Post a Comment