Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Morning Delight!

We shared a wonderful breakfast on Christmas morning - something I'd spotted on Pinterest and saved for the occasion.  Our first Christmas morning together as husband and wife where we didn't shove off first thing for family time. 

The recipe was fairly simple to put together, though I'm not sure I liked the texture of the pancakes.  They seemed kind of dense and 'light' - in that the lack of fat in the recipe seemed to make them very chewy.  In addition to exchanging the recipe, I also would sub red food coloring for beet juice - I've heard its a much healthier option, and perhaps would have brought forth a brighter color than the food coloring did.  The contrast between white and red was a fun idea!

The fudge syrup sauce, however, was awesome, and a fun topping!  It took me forever to find a candy cane to use - but Walgreens saved me on Christmas eve night.  It was smashed up and dissolved into a conglomeration of cocoa powder, chocolate, corn syrup, and amazingness to create a spread unlike any other.  

As Rachel Ray says - "yummo!"

Fudge syrup:
1 cup (250 ml) water
1/2 cup (160 g) glucose (or light corn syrup, agave nectar)
Crushed candy canes, I used about 12 medium ones, about 150g
3/4 cup (75 g) unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
2.6 oz (75 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used Lindt 70%), you can also use milk chocolate if you are worried about it being too rich
Extra crushed candy canes, to serve

From: http://www.raspberricupcakes.com/2011/12/christmas-pancakes-with-candy-cane.html

No comments:

Post a Comment