Tuesday, June 30, 2015

With an outstretched hand...

A swarm of people were following Jesus, crowding in on him. A woman was there who had been bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a lot under the care of many doctors, and had spent everything she had without getting any better. In fact, she had gotten worse. Because she had heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his clothes. She was thinking, If I can just touch his clothes, I’ll be healed. (Mark 5:24-28 CEB)

This past week's reading is still with me.  It's one that I've reflected on often these past couple of years. This story is about a woman who suffers from chronic illness for twelve years. More than just a year. Or five. Or even ten. Beyond a clear and acceptable mark of time. Any hope of "well after this year, surely I'll be healed" is good and gone by now.
She's seen doctor after doctor. Carved out time in her weeks to seek the advice and diagnosis from a professional. Paid time and again for appointments, medicines, traveling costs perhaps.  She wasn't getting better.  She was getting worse. Again, logic is defied. "Fifth time's the charm?" None of these doctors could heal her of her afflictions.


I do not suffer from such a severe condition, particularly one that inhibited her presence in worship, or even in public. I do have pain in my feet, calves, legs, hips. It started just in the left foot, and now is both. It greets me early in the morning and lingers throughout the day. It was terrible - then almost gone - then hit both legs with a vengeance. Going on two years. Like this woman, I've visited many doctors: a general practitioner, podiatrist, chiropractor, and masseuse. Stretches and cortisone shots. I have purchased sturdy shoes as well as the 'coolest' looking non-flip flops or dress shoes that stand out in the summer. I love my foam roller. My compression sleeves. My epsom salt baths. Insoles. Icy Hot. No running. How about yoga?

I fully recognize how mild my pain is in comparison with those who struggle with all kinds of chronic pain. Day after day, waking up to the same lingering feelings. Maybe, one day, symptoms subside to provide hope. Another, they flare up and you feel back at square one. Or a couple steps back.  Time becomes frozen.  Longing for the past, when you didn't feel so stuck.  Striving for the future, when you will be free. Such a situation is glaringly stagnant in the present. Every day comes and goes, seemingly like the last, and whether you feel a sense of progress or not, the light at the end of the tunnel never seems to change.

Maybe it's not pain, but some other desire of the heart. A dwindling hope for a gift or transformation of one's present situation that is yet to come. Time is beyond control.  All we have...is faith.

And that is where this story greets us: "Because she had heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his clothes. She was thinking, If I can just touch his clothes, I’ll be healed." (vs. 27-28)

Perhaps this day is no different than any other: I've tried everything I can think of.  And yet, there is the promise of healing. All I need to do is touch this man's robe. Faith perpetuates her continued pursuit of healing.  She saw many doctors. She spent all her money.  She wasn't better. She was worse. And yet, she still trusts that, some day, God will heal her. Rather than desperation, I wonder if it was simply a call to try the next thing.  She didn't know if it would work. Doubt creeps in. The great crowd surrounding Jesus surely blocked her way. Insecurities and inhibitions must have worked to talk her out of even showing up.  But with hand outstretched, she touches him.

The story has a happy ending.  She is healed after twelve years of suffering. But some of the power of this story comes well ahead of this healing. Her faith encourages her to continue stretching out - neglecting the years and years of "it'll never work", refusing the impatience of "can't I be well already?!" Here in the present, she reaches out in faith. Faith sustains her. Day after day. After day. In that moment she hears "your faith has made you well." In the midst of pain, of suffering, of doubt, it is by faith we are saved.




"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see" Hebrews 11:1 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment